The COVID-19 pandemic upended life as we knew it at the beginning of 2020. It forced everyone from employers to educators, and everyone in between, to find new ways of moving forward while maintaining public safety to limit community spread. However, we are now entering a new phase with society starting to reopen.
After closing your doors for a considerable amount of time, you will need to plan for your grand opening. Central to this planning should be safety and campus security. The pandemic has been an opportunity to learn new health and safety practices. Knowing how to apply them when you reopen will be key to keeping your employees and customers safe.
As a campus head, you should take the time to plan the security program for your operations after the pandemic. Here are a few tips to help you understand the security systems, policies, and procedures to consider for your reopening.
Campus Security Systems and Processes
Most workplaces are currently looking to leverage their existing security systems. This needs to happen to deal with the new health, safety, and security risks post-pandemic.
Now more than ever, the following security measures are being examined in much closer detail:
- Enhanced access control systems
- Visitor management software
- Human temperature detection systems
With more people working from home, employers are looking for ways to do campus security monitoring remotely. The increase in cloud-based technology use has also led to questions around network security
The pandemic has given them time to reflect on health, safety, and security issues. By identifying the existing gaps, you can understand what measures you need to take. Ensuring the safety of your teachers and your students is more important now than ever.
Revisiting Your Policies and Procedures
The pandemic will change how people interact with each other once your operation reopens. The best thing that you can do is set clear policies and procedures for your employees and customers. These can serve as guidelines on how they can protect themselves.
Before reopening, you should address the following questions:
- Are you ensuring that any new policies and procedures are integrated with your campus security system? Have you included this as part of your draft plans to reopen your institution?
- As you revisit health, safety, and security protocols, have you developed policies and procedures that will correspond with these changes in the future?
You want to create a system where your campus security reinforces your campus policies. As such, changes to operating hours or visitor policies should be reinforced by your security.
Here are some questions to serve as a guide on how you can leverage your current security:
- Are you going to revise your access control and door schedule policies?
- Does your visitor management software need to be updated by adding or removing screening questions?
- Can you get more out of your current surveillance system to help screen visitors or maintain social distancing?
Any changes that you make to your security procedures should be reflected by your security systems.
Assessing the Impact of the Pandemic on Your Campus Security
Another key step to take is to understand how the pandemic may have affected your current campus security policies and procedures.
Here are a few things to think about:
- Do you need to re-evaluate your security video retention policy?
- Have you developed standards around the use of your security systems?
- If so, how do you apply, maintain, and audit them?
- Who has permission to control and access these systems?
Instead of using completely new systems to ensure the health, safety, and security of your workplace, look at how you can leverage your existing campus security to keep everyone safe.
Looking Into the Future
The key to ensuring that your campus security is able to do what you need it to, you have to make sure that you create a flexible system. This pandemic has shown us how quickly things can change. Having security systems that are able to adapt to changing circumstances will definitely work to your advantage. Having robust, well thought out security in place will help you to address any challenges that may arise in the future.
How All Campus Security Can Help You
We specialize in providing customized campus security solutions. Regardless of the size of your company, we know how to help. Our passion lies in keeping businesses, schools, and organizations safe and secure – with the latest technologies. We offer a range of security services, which include:
- Video surveillance installations
- Access control systems
- Structured cabling solutions
- Fire alarm systems and inspections
Our years of experience in the industry give you the peace of mind in knowing that we can provide the campus security solutions that you need. So contact us today and let us help you keep your reopening safe and secure.